1. Shop around for car and home insurance every year, never take the renewal quote without first comparing it with at least 3 other providers
2. Change telephone and electricity providers, often electricity providers give you a deal for one year so it can make sense to change every year
3. Use a currency broker to make foreign payments instead of a bank - we can recommend Transfermate, please contact us for details.
4. Keep a record of what you spend on a weekly, monthly and annual basis. Use budgeting tools from e.g. www.mabs.ie to estimate income and expenditure.
5. Sign up for supermarket reward schemes
6. Make payments online instead of writing cheques (50c duty per cheque, plus bank charges, plus the stamp!)
7. Pay motor tax for the year if possible as it is much cheaper than paying by quarter
8. Avoid keeping a balance on your credit card, try to switch to lower cost finance
9. 1890 telephone numbers are expensive and not covered in call packages, use the regional number instead. Never ever call directory enquiries (11811, 11850 etc) unless they are free with your telephone provider, cost up to €1 per call! Use Google on your phone instead.
10. Buy second hand – office furniture can be purchased for a fraction of the price of new
11. Cancel expensive television subscriptions, combine telephone/broadband/TV for savings (but be careful of introductory offers or long contracts which increase after 6 months)
Lewis & Co. Accountants
8 Priory Office Park, Stillorgan Road
Blackrock, Co. Dublin, A94 EE95
Tel: +353 1 211 0000
Fax: +353 1 210 9694